The Architect, The Cook & The Kitchen

Musings on Food, Design and Style

Friday, June 11, 2010

Cutting Boards: Two is Better than One Kitchen Essential

It is not always the case when outfitting a small Kitchen, but when it comes to cutting boards, two is better than one.  For sanitary reasons, all home Kitchen should have at least two boards:
  1. One board for foods that can be eaten raw, such as fruits, vegetables, bread and cheese  
  2. One board for preparing raw meats, poultry and fish.
There are three main material types of cutting boards that will not damage your knives:
  1. Wood
  2. Plastic
  3. Hard Rubber
I have tried all three materials and I have chosen the two which best fits the way I prep, cook and clean in the Kitchen.

I favor a wood cutting board for my fruits and vegetables, as it can be used in the Kitchen for prep work and is attractive enough to be used in the Dining Room for serving bread and cheese.  

Below, my favorite wood board is by John Boos & Co.:



















Below, the Boos Block Cutting Board is classic in design, reversible in use and durable in wear:



















The Boos Block board is crafted in the USA from North American hard rock maple and the board is of edge grain construction. To prevent slippage on the countertop, I place a damp cloth underneath before I start any work. For $30, the 10" x 16" size is large enough to handle daily chopping tasks but small enough to wash comfortably in the most Kitchen sinks.  Wood boards cannot go in the dishwasher and must be hand washed thoroughly.

I give it a rubdown every 3 to 4 weeks with food-safe mineral oil when the wood looks dry to prevent cracks.  I have had my Boos cutting board for several years and it still looks great with only minor surface scratches that can be sanded down if they get any deeper.

Below:  I prefer to oil my board with the intriguingly named Boos Block Mystery Oil.  It is a combination of mineral oil, linseed oil and orange oil and smells great :



















I favor a plastic cutting board for prepping all raw meats, poultry and fish.

Below, the OXO Good Grips Utility Board, clean in design, reversible in use, simple in maintenance:






















The OXO Good Grip Utility Board is made from non-porous, odor-resisting polypropylene and has non slip edges so it sits stable on the countertop.  It is lightweight and reversible with a flat side and a grooved edge side for capturing meat juices.  For $15, the 10-1/2" x 14" size is perfect for all my meat prep uses.  I have had mine for three months now and shallow cuts are visible on the surface.  Since I use this board for raw meats, I like the fact that I can put it in the dishwasher to sanitize it. When the surface is scarred enough to catch a cloth I will replace it as it cannot be sanded down.

Below:  The OXO Utility Board also comes with a red edge, so you can use the red one for raw meats and the black one for the fruits and vegetables:

I like and dislike the hard rubber cutting board type which is used primarily in commercial kitchen.

Below, the Sani-Tuff Hard Rubber Board:






















At $35, the smallest size is 12" x 18" which just barely fits into my Kitchen sink.  It is a balnd beige color and has no aesthetic appeal at all. It is non-slip on the countertop and is very heavy to maneuver and lift in the Kitchen.  It can be cleaned in the dishwasher for the wash cycle but must be removed prior to the drying cycle as it will warp.  Like the wood board, surface scratches can be sanded down.

How to Clean your Cutting Boards:
  1. Scrub under hot running water
  2. Scrub under hot, soapy water
  3. Dry thoroughly by standing board on end with enough room around board for air circulation
  4. Store
The most important lesson to be learned in cutting board basics is not which type of board to pick, but how to sanitize your board properly after each use.  So be keen and keep your boards clean.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment