The Architect, The Cook & The Kitchen

Musings on Food, Design and Style

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Victorinox Fibrox-Budget Knife Essentials

I have been separated from my Shun, Global and Wusthof knives for several months, as they unfortunately did not make it with me on our move back to New York from California. Knife-less in our new Kitchen, I vowed to be reunited with my old knives one day. A new budget friendly knife set was in order and this would require research.What I lost in not having access to my cutlery, I gained in knowledge of knife design, construction and maintenance.

For the novice and experienced home cook alike, there are only three knives required:
  1. 8" Chef's knife
  2. Paring knife
  3. Serrated bread knife
A matching knife block set may look nice, but is not necessary and something I strongly discouraged.  Mix brands to get the best quality and performance for what you can afford.

I found that the Victorinox (formerly Forschner by Victorinox) Fibrox line came out highly rated for the three essentials types of knives. The blades are stamped, rather than forged, but because they are manufactured by Victorinox, the maker of the original Swiss Army knife, and are of high carbon steel, the edges are sharp and can be easily resharpened, a plus for the home cook.

My new knife essentials are not only affordable and give me a keen edge in the Kitchen, but also, to my delight and surprise, a matching set.

Below, the Victorinox 8" Chef's Knife , at approximately $25, is balanced, lightweight, has a curved blade shape and non-slip, ergonomic Fibrox handle that is comfortable in the hand:






















Below,  Victorinox 3-1/4" Paring Knife,  at approximately $6, is lightweight with a nylon handle and a somewhat flexible blade, which makes peeling a breeze :

 
















Below, Victorinox 10-1/4" Curved Bread Knife, at approximately $25, has the Fibrox handle and is multifunctional, cutting easily through bread, cakes, tomatoes and sandwiches:

No comments:

Post a Comment