The Architect, The Cook & The Kitchen

Musings on Food, Design and Style

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chase Me Down

 It seems more and more often, banks are the only commercial tenants who can afford to rent storefront leases in the city.

We live on DeKalb Avenue on the edge of the Fort Greene and Downtown Brooklyn neighborhoods.
While we see bank branches and atms everywhere, not one seems more prominent in our neighborhood than Chase Bank.  I can walk out my door, one block down to Flatbush Avenue and am inundated with Chase Bank.

 Below, Chase at 20 Flatbush Avenue:

  Below, Chase (formerly the Dime Savings Bank) at 9 DeKalb Avenue:

Below, Chase at Metrotech Center, looming in distance:

While I do not feel lucky to be flooded with the Chase brand, physically and visually, I do feel fortunate to be able to partake in beautiful architecture within walking distance.

The Chase branch at 9 DeKalb Avenue at Albee Square is a magnificent piece of architecture and almost every time I walk down to Fulton Street, I walk though it as if I am just walking down the block.  It is ALWAYS a pleasure and that's what architecture should be, always opening one's senses.
Alas, I was only able to take one photo of the interior before being told it was not allowed by security, but I am happy, happy that I can experience the grandeur of this space in my neighborhood.

Below, as luck would have it, a short walk over to Brooklyn Heights, at the Chase Branch (formerly the Brooklyn Trust) at 177 Montague, another architectural beauty, inside and out:

For more information and vintage photos of the former Dime Savings Bank at 9 DeKalb Avenue at Albee Square:
http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2010/03/walkabout_photo.php

For more information on former Brooklyn Trust at 177 Montague: http://www.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/2010/03/building_of_the_3.php

Pop in for a peek and be happy.









No comments:

Post a Comment