The Architect, The Cook & The Kitchen

Musings on Food, Design and Style

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Move in day was quick and painless.  It was a quick trip over the Brooklyn Bridge from the West Village on a beautiful and sunny Saturday morning.

My husband is THE expert in packing any vehicle, truck, pick up or in this case, a Scion xB. I still can't figure out how he does it, but like magic, it is packed it to the gills with 10 plus boxes and our one piece of "furniture", our full size raised inflatable bed that we use for our "luxury" camping out West.  Two trips up the elevator and we are done.

A trip to Ikea Red Hook is in order, as we agree, we need a least two chairs and a small table.  As thoughts of Swedish meatballs dance in my head, we zip though the donut floor layout that is Ikea. I am trying to find my husband, surprised that he, who doen't like to shop, finds some of the displays mesmerizing. I need to nudge him along to the warehouse area to find the table and chairs that we have so carefully chosen in the last half hour.  The glass and chrome table is sold out, but we do find the 2 swivel chairs with wheels and the 2 folding chairs for our future guests.  As time is running out before our little Scion xB turns into a pumpkin, I begrudgingly eliminate the meatball and lingon berry pit stop and anxiously head toward the cashiers, hoping that the lines are shorter than a city block. To my surprise, we breeze right through. 

Move-in Day with our inflatable bed, swivel chairs and 2 makeshift tables from the chair boxes :

We celebrate our first night with Chinese take-out and a bottle of delicious bubbly, courtesy of our good friends:


We couldn't ask for a more perfect day.

1 comment:

  1. I do enjoy those half-egg type chairs. And I've never had the Ikea meatballs! Two things to consider once it's my turn to enjoy furniture shopping.

    ReplyDelete