The Architect, The Cook & The Kitchen

Musings on Food, Design and Style

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Creme de la Coconut

Since I was a young girl, I have been attracted to beauty products or more precisely, the products that hint that my beauty will be uncovered from its disguise of the real me. 

After years of being mesmerized by the concept of pursuing beauty,  I no longer seek to uncover my hidden beauty.

It took many a hair, skin and cosmetic product for me to realize that I feel beautiful simply being the natural me.  I may swipe on a little gloss on my lips or sweep a little blush on my cheeks now and then, but even these little acts puzzle my husband as he is sure to question what the occasion is that I choose to look "glamourous". 

I have pared down my "beauty" routine to essentially taking care of my skin.

While I am fan of Creme de la Mer, the touted facial moisturizer of the well heeled set, the then under $200, now $230, per 2 oz. jar became an unnecessary luxury:
During our live/work stint in the US Virgin Islands last year, I discovered coconut oil, a long standing beauty and food product in many countries.  Coconut oil is a multi-use product, not only is it a face and body moisturizer, but a hair conditioner and a cooking oil.  I use it to oil my cast iron pan and to moisturize my leather bag. I am certain it will fulfill a myriad of daily household tasks.

It is typically found in the health food store in BOTH the cooking oil aisle and the beauty products aisle.  It is the same product in different packaging. 

My current pick, below, is Spectrum Coconut Oil, about $10-$12 for 14 oz:

While the unrefined coconut oil has little bits of coconut meat within it, it really is no bother to rub them off and possibly get the benefit of a little exfoliation.

You can do further reading about the benefits and misconceptions of coconut oil in the book,
The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife.

The creme de la creme is the creme de la coconut.

1 comment: