The Architect, The Cook & The Kitchen

Musings on Food, Design and Style

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lodge Cast Iron Skillet: The Kitchen Workhorse

I lost my favorite pan, the Lodge Logic 12" Diameter Cast Iron Skillet, on our move from New York City  to the Caribbean last year.

















I LOVED this pan. 

I bought it many years ago and in the Kitchen, we were both the same, young and unseasoned.

But in no time, we changed. 

Like as a trusty steed, my pan would await me everyday, a workhorse at the stove top.

Together, we would practice basic cooking techniques: sauteing, roasting, frying, poaching, steaming, stir-frying, baking and so on.

We had a symbiotic relationship. Each day, I developed as a cook and each day, my pan developed a patina.

While its exterior of crusty, hardened oil manifested its age, its interior, glossy and smooth, demonstrated its experience.

Out of respect for my old Kitchen companion, I did not want to replace the pan until we moved into our new apartment, a couple of months ago.
I found it at our local Target store for under $20, only a few dollars more than I remember purchasing it for years ago.

My new pan is similar, but is different from my beloved one.

The new one is befitting our new life, it is pre-seasoned and is ready to get cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment