The Architect, The Cook & The Kitchen

Musings on Food, Design and Style

Friday, May 21, 2010

Deim Chau: Porcelain, Toothpicks and Paper Sculptures

As a child, I was fascinated with all things tiny, especially dollhouses, miniature furniture and porcelain tea sets.   I always wanted to play house, but not within a space created with child scaled furniture, but within a doll's house, without the doll.   In my mind's eye, I was a tiny figure and  I could walk from room to room and sit on a tiny chair, eat at a tiny table, pour a tiny teapot and sleep in a tiny bed.  These were exercises in visualizing the act of living and as an Architect, I still practice this same exercise, in very much the same way, except I am in my Client's shoes.

I am reminded of this childhood fascination after seeing these images from the work of the artist Diem Chau.   Using common materials and methods, her work captures moments in our shared communal memory. 

I am instantly transported to comfortable spot  in my own little world.

Still Trying by Diem Chau, using porcelain cups and saucers, toothpicks and paper:

 



































Below, Origami by Diem Chau, using porcelain bowl, toothpicks and paper:































Below, Mahjongg by Diem Chau, using porcelain bowl, toothpicks and paper:

1 comment:

  1. I did the exact same thing as a child! I think that was your influence! And how did she make such tiny origami??

    ReplyDelete